About Me

My photo
I'm 31 y/o, married to my Best Friend..and still finding out who I am. My world is sometimes chaotic, sometimes mysterious, but always a Blessing. I stay at home with my children, but i'm not the best homemaker.. that's a work in progress! You can read about my daughters disabilities on the first page. It's titled; "Kira Jean Beauty Queen."

Monday, March 3, 2008

Preschool for Kira???

When this option was presented to me, my initial question is "HOW?" How can you send an apparent comatose child to preschool?! But as it was explained to me, my heart began to melt! I got so excited for HER! Her wheelchair is made with adapting parts at the base to hook into a vehicle such as a van or a bus. Now, I don't even know if I will be emotionally able to have a little school bus pick her up and take her, or if I would just drive her myself, ( and probably stay the whole time ) but it is equipped to have the bus pick her up. Let me explain what going to preschool would mean for Kira....

She would listen to music and the Teacher would clap Kiras hands to the music.
She would make me beautiful art pictures by having the teacher swirl her hands around in finger paints. She would be pushed up to the table in her wheelchair during meal times, to be tube fed. They would do alot of things that Neuro typical preschoolers would do, of course, the teacher would have to move Kiras hands for her. This would provide SOOO much stimuli for her! Nobody knows how much Kira is aware of, and I believe she is aware of alot.. her brain just won't allow her to respond and tell us. Can you imgine how much she would LOOOOVVVEEE to go to school, and PLAY and be around other children like her!! Momma would get a class picture of her classmates, all of her friends in wheelchairs... how ADORABLE would that be?!

So she will be 3 on July 4th and school would start in September. It would be a few days a week, a few hours a day. I am having a meeting with the Districs person in charge in special education on the 12th of this month. I will keep you updated.

5 comments:

Kamryn said...

Oh how amazing that would be!! I can just imagine how delighted her little self would be to paint and such. I worked with special needs kids as a one on one aide in a school (older kids though) and honestly it was the most awesome setting ever. Good luck with all your decisions :)

Anonymous said...

Aww Sarah that would be so awesome! Miss Kira at preschool! I think she would get so much out of that! What district is it through?

Jody said...

Wow that's a great opportunity!!! So exciting! I think Kira would love it, and it's just awesome that it is something she can partake in!
xoxo
Jody

Kristy said...

I think that is probably honestly one of the neatest things I have ever heard! Can you even imagine being able to hang her first piece of artwork on your fridge with the boys! And frame her school picture to put in her bedroom!! Oh how awesome to think about!!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! Just the constant stimulation, the routine, and being around other people all the other people would be great for her! As for her being aware of things, even people who are LITERALLY in comas are aware of a lot, and I have heard people who were formerly in comas talk about how bored and lonely they got just sitting around all the time. So, on whatever level your daughter IS aware of things, that experience will be wonderful for her!